4 tablespoons olive oil
3 onions, cut into large chunks
5 carrots, cut into large
4 cloves garlic
2 cups your favorite mushrooms ( I like mini bellas)
4 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
half a package of bacon, chopped
1.5 lbs ground meat ( you can use any one kind or a mixture – I often like to use half beef and half pork)
1 can tomato paste
2 cups red wine
2 bay leaves
1 large can stewed tomatoes
2 tblsp Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp sugar
1. Use a food processor to finely chop all vegetables, working in batches if necessary.
2. Heat the oil in your large cooking pot over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook for about 4 minutes (not crispy). Add the finely chopped vegetables and cook 5 minutes.
3. Add ground meat and mix well to break up any clumps.
4. Stir in tomato paste, red wine and stewed tomatoes.
5. Add bay leaves and Italian seasoning.
6. Simmer for about 45 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper and 1 tsp of sugar.
Tips: This makes a pretty large batch. I usually use some the day I make it and freeze 3 containers of the goodness for future use. It freezes really well!