3 tblsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup chopped carrots
4 cups chopped butternut squash
3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp numeg
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tblsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion starts to caramelize.
2. Add the carrots, squash, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper and cook for another few minutes.
3. Add the vegetable or chicken stock and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Use a hand blender, blender or food processor to blend the soup until it’s smooth.
6. Bring back to the pot (if using blender or processor), and add the heavy cream and brown sugar. Heat through, but be careful not to boil.
Tips: I like to serve this two ways, one with a dash of cayenne pepper on top of each bowl, or two with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of candied nuts. This soup can be frozen, but you must do it before you add in the cream and sugar. If you do freeze it, just add the cream and sugar once defrosted and heated through.